1.11.2007

playdough fun


The boys and I donned our aprons, got our cooking gear out, and whipped up some homemade playdough today. The kitchen is such a great classroom (reading, measuring, following directions, fractions, chemistry and physics are all included.) and what could be more fun to learn with than playdough?
I remember playing with homemade playdough thanks to my mom. She even put different scents (I think she used mint, orange, lemon... Jean, do you remember?) in it to make it smell good. In the past, I've been too lazy or practical to make it myself when you can buy it so cheaply, but B's mom gave Oliver this really cool cookbook for Christmas that has a few crafty fun things to do in the back, one of them being playdough. So, we went for it and had such a good time. I must say even I was so impressed with how it came together!
So, I'll leave the recipe with you in case you want to try. There are many different varieties, but this one is really simple.

PLAYDOUGH
1 cup of flour
1 cup of warm water
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 cup of salt
food coloring

Mix all ingredients adding food coloring last. Stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from pan and knead until blended smooth. Place in plastic bag or airtight container when cooled.
(FYI, it was easy for us to let each boy make the recipe in his own bowl and then repeat it. now we have four new playdough colors!) Have fun... and let me know if you try it!

6 comments:

G. Twilley said...

I bet that would taste really good too...minus the old from the hands...

katie said...

actually, oliver accidently tasted some later today and almost gagged, if that's any indication! :)

Anonymous said...

OK....it's official....you get the Mom of the Year award. Now you can add: "can make home-made playdough" to the resume!!! You're the best!
I bet the pink was Abigail's favorite!

keri said...

i have had every intention of making playdough. one of those many things on my list! and i know the homemade kind actually feels better, lasts longer and works better. did you find this to be true?
sounds like a fun time with n and o...

ella is sitting here with me looking at the pic and asked why they had aprons on...and she also said nicholas is the silliest. no clue why...just reporting what she said.

Jean Joiner said...

wow...i'm impressed. i do remember the smells mom would put in and i also remember they never tasted like they smelled. i remember andy making an elaborate birthday cake out of mom's playdough and i so wanted it to be real. :)

Laura said...

I'm so glad y'all made playdough together. That reminds me so much of going to my grandmother's house. She used to always make it for us.

When I used to do "creative babysitting" I make "gak" with my kids out of glue. I bet the boys would love this stuff! Here's the recipe:

1 cup white glue
food coloring
1 cup liquid starch

Pour glue and coloring in plastic container.

Stir until color is thoroughly mixed in.

Add starch a little at a time, stirring with a spoon or kneading with your fingers as mixture thickens.

Keep stirring until mixture holds together like putty.

Test with your fingers: if too sticky, add more starch in small amounts until mass is smooth and rubbery.